Wednesday, August 18, 2004

48 Hours...

Its roughly forty-eight hours until we open the 2004 season. As usual, I'm getting a little nervous as the season opener nears. Today we ran our inside drill and it looked good. Until now, it kinda didn't - look good, that is. I really think we can move the ball and put some points on the board if we keep the penalties down and hold on to the football. But we're young, and in my experience that translates into mistakes. Not much time to worry about it now. All you can do is coach 'em your best and hope for the best.

I'm very proud of the ones we have left... the ones tough enough and dedicated enough to stick with the team. Those special players that have had the guts to stick it out through camp, through the heat, and being thrown in the mix without much playing time... well, my hat is off to those guys. We may lack experience, but we are in no short supply of heart, and guts, and "want-to". I know we're gonna struggle at times this season, but I know that we will prevail. Every season I find renewed respect for those I coach... that shrinking number of young men drawn to a sport not because it is easy but because it is hard. (and I have no idea why I'm paraphrasing JFK...!)

Coach Smith

No comments: