Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Bad News

At the risk gaining the nickname, "Hard Luck Charlie," I guess I'll go ahead and bring you guys up to date. I finished my first and last year here at Suwannee High School as OLine coach. I basically was the head coach's right hand man, which was nice. It probably pissed off some folks, but as far as I'm concerned, that wasn't my problem to fix. Anyway, I had a job to do, and I did it as well as I could. At Christmas the coach that brought me here got the can, and the best the new coach could find for me was a spot in the JV staff. Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence. Here's mine; good luck next season.

But all was not lost. I landed a job at a half-decent 4-A program in Tennessee as offensive coordinator and was excited to be installing the Navy style option. Coach B was hired as head coach of a school in North Carolina and things were looking good.

Then I find out the coach in Tennessee that hired me was leaving for another job. That possibility strangely had failed to come up in any of our discussions. Needless to say, I'm screwed. The good jobs are mostly gone and I'm just too old and set in my ways to just take a crappy job and be miserable. I have a couple of things in the works, but I honestly just don't know. You get one kind of offer when your stock is high, and quite another when your stock has dropped. I'd probably be better off just making a fresh start somewhere else.

So at this stage of the game, the author of veersite.com is thinking that finding a part-time job making widgets sounds pretty good. I think it's time to stop trying to make sense of head coaches, boosters, and principals. I'm not sure I'd believe anything any of them would tell me at this point, anyway.

One thing is certain, wherever I end up, the little league coaches there better get ready for some righteous ass-kickings on the gridiron! I might not be working at a high school next year, but I will be coaching it up on some field somewhere. On the bright side, I guess I'll finally have the time to keep Veersite more up to date!



Coach Smith